Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Clif Bars

Since I've gone plant based this last month, I've had to find an alternative to my beloved Quest Bars...and I think I have finally found my new addiction. I've found that I really like Clif bars! I don't think in terms of the traditional protein obsessed dieter that they would be considered "macro friendly" because there are a lot of carbs and not a ton of protein. The particular one I have on hand right now is the Chocolate Brownie flavor and it has 4.5 grams of fat, 44 carbs and 9 grams of protein. I like Clif bars as desserts and sweet snacks because they have a texture that reminds me of oatmeal cookies and dessert-like bars. It gives me my sweet sugar fix in a nice sized bar that's really satisfying. I like that they are a lot cheaper than Quest Bars. Clif bars are 98 cents and Quest Bars are usually $2.29 per bar.
Clif Bars come in a ton of different flavors. Some are fruit flavored but I like more decadent flavored bars like White Chocolate Macadamia because it tastes like a giant cookie. I like to warm them up in the microwave too.
The only problem that I have with Clif bars are that they can be high in fat if you buy certain nut based flavors. I also have a little bit of concern for the soy ingredients that appear on the label. The protein in the bar is made up of soy protein isolate. There are a lot of shady things to look out for in soy. The fact that 70% of the ingredients in a Clif bar are organic helps lessen the effects of the soy. Soy can mess with the hormonal balances in your body especially if you're a male. Soy doesn't really have a good reputation but I don't think it's something to be overly concerned about.
I've already cut of 100% of all meat and dairy products in my diet and I feel that if I restrict too many more things that it won't be a very healthy way to live. (352)

No comments:

Post a Comment