Friday, April 10, 2015

The Western Diet

I know I have touched base a lot on the eating habits and patterns of modern America, but it seems like the best thing to talk about. How are we going to fix our dietary issues as country if we constantly brush them under the rug?
I want to talk about the Western Diet. It's basically the nice term for the fat filled-meat inclusive diet. According to the FDA, the average American diet doesn't even fall between the guidelines. Apparently, our "average" diets consist of 50% carb, 35% fat, and 15% protein. The FDA recommends that our macros sit at 55% carb 30% fat with 15% of our calories coming from protein. I think it's safe to assume that most of the fat calories come from oil and meat. Most of the carbs probably come from soft drinks, bread and candy. If you try and dissect a typical fast food meal in your head, what comes to mind? In my mind, it makes total sense. The bread being the refined carb, the meat being the very little protein that Americans consume and the rest of the patty being a source of fat, along with the fries. The large pepsi or whatever somebody would choose to order to wash it all down would be the 3rd source of refined carbs (French fries being the second, but that's mainly a source of fat)
Looking beyond macronutrients, have you ever looked up an ingredient list of a fast food meal? How I bet there are 65+ ingredients in your meal alone. How many of those ingredients do you think are chemicals or preservatives? Probably a lot. The modern American diet. Is careless. There is no caution or safety towards American's health status. The food industry is not out to make a healthier generation for us or our families, the food industry wants your money so much that they will do anything to keep you coming back. Oreo filled Chips Ahoy Cookies? Reese's Oreos? The Pizza Hut Cinna Sticks? The triple whopper? Obviously all marketing techniques to make something look new and exciting. And yeah, I've fallen for it before. Being a little kid I saw commercials for Kid Cuisines and Cinnimini's at Burger King. Any time my mom offered to get breakfast or pick up something for lunch, I could never decline. Hell yes 5 year old Sarah wants that Barbie toy in her happy meal, of course I want the 6 piece chicken nugget because 4 is weak and have you SEEN those new flavors if Artic Rush (formerly grew up knowing them as "Mr. Misty's"
 In the last 3 or so years, I have not taken my family up on any offers for fast food. Since deeply educating myself on topics like these, it's repulsive to even think about fast food. Even though it's been years since I've had fast food, I still crave it sometimes. Constantly being surrounded by food ads and new restaurants opening up, the temptation is real. Then I think about the Food Inc documentary and the truth behind fast food and I'm instantly repulsed.
The Western Diet is majorly flawed and I hope to see some kind of action to change the direction the diet in this country is headed. (544)

No comments:

Post a Comment