Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Tough Competition

The best runners in the state are getting faster and faster each year, making it harder and harder to qualify for state and even regionals. No matter what event, or even race (if you're talking cross country) the competition is insanely difficult each year. Since extending the cross country race course, it's been said that it's a good thing because the girls' times are so fast, it's hardly a race. The top time in the state for a 4,000 meter course is somewhere in the low 13 minute range. Which is crazy. That's about a 5 minute mile pace...held for two and a half miles. Even in track, the 3,000 meter times are crazy fast. The best times for girls are in the upper 9's. That time is LESS than a 5 minute mile pace! In the 1500 meter race, some of the best times are 4:30 and under. A four and a half minute (almost) mile is extremely hard to pull off.
As the competition becomes tougher, I feel conflicted. Part of me sees it as a good opportunity to push myself harder, making myself think "If other girls can pull off a 4-something mile, I can at least try for a 5:45" and part of me wants to just throw my hands up and quit, because I know I'm not a natural born runner. It's tough when you're competing against so many natural born runners where everything just comes so easily for them, and I'm over here pushing myself really hard just to get a semi-decent time.
I'm choosing to work harder to try and keep myself ranked in the middle of all of the competition. I already know a mile under 5 minutes will never happen for me, because I know that my body just isn't capable of pulling it off. I am going to focus more on trying to cut off 10 seconds per race, slowly until I can reach my goals.
Hopefully since I'll be training for 5K's, it'll help translate over into next track season to help get my times down in my events. I'm hoping to continuously run all year round, and not make the mistake of taking too long of a break. I feel like it's really hurt my progress. (378)

No comments:

Post a Comment